Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the English Preparatory Program compulsory for all students?
English Preparatory Program is compulsory for students who register in the English stream of the departments at Near East University.
- How long is the English Preparatory Program?
The learning program in the Preparatory School is a two-semester (4 levels) program that includes A1, A2, B1 and B1+ and levels. The exit level for students in Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry may extend to B2 level.
- How can I be exempt from the English Preparatory Program?
- Students who are successful in the English Proficiency and Placement Exam start their departments directly. Passing grade is 60 and higher.
- Students who completed an English language program in another university at the required level in the last two years are exempt from the English Preparatory Program.
- Students who graduated from an English medium school in a country where English is a native language are exempt from the English Preparatory Program. These countries are the USA, the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
- Students who hold the following certificates are exempt from the Placement and proficiency exam and can register directly to their departments.
|EXAM||Minimum accepted RESULT|
|SAT – Reading & Writing||350|
|IGCSE||A, B, C|
|IELTS (only for internaational and TRNC students||5.5|
- Where can I find the UNPT (Under Graduate Proficiency Exam) sample questions?
You can find UNPT sample questions from the link below
- How can I learn the result of my English Placement Exam?
UNPT exam result can be learned either via email(firstname.lastname@example.org) or from Near East University English Preparatory School Web page.
- How am I assigned to a class in the English Preparatory Program?
Students who fail in the English Preparatory School English Language Proficiency and Placement Exam for undergraduate students (UNPT)are assigned to classes based on the results obtained in the English Proficiency Exam.
- What is the teaching system in the English Preparatory Program?
The learning program in the Preparatory School is a two-semester (4 levels) program that includes A1, A2, B1 and B2 levels.
Students who collect 100 / 200 in each module can proceed to the next level. The students who cannot gather 100 points out of 200 repeat the module.
Students can start their program in their departments after completing one semester provided that they reach B1+ level.
The duration of English Preparatory School for Medicine and Dentistry students is one academic year if they cannot pass the English Proficiency Exam. Thus, the levels for the students from Medicine, and Dentistry departments can be extended to B2 depending on the time they complete the minimum required level. They are also given ESP (English for specific purposes) before they start their departments.
8. Is attendance compulsory in the English Preparatory Program?
Students who attend 100 hrs and above in each module are given 100 points.
- Am I entitled to make-ups for the exams that I have missed?
In the case of illnesses, students must contact admin via email (email@example.com) attached with a medical report within three days from the exam date. These students will be allowed to take a make-up exam.
- How can I keep track of my grades and my attendance record?
Information about grades and attendance can be learned from your teacher.
- Where can I buy my course books?
The fee for the books is paid at The Near East Bank,
The books are collected from the Library Bookstore
- What should I do if I encounter technical problems in online courses and exams?
Students who encounter technical problems should contact their class teacher.
- Are there Psychological Support and Counselling services at Near East University?
Near East University is dedicated to helping students with personal, emotional and psychological concerns. If you need to get in with Psychological Support and Counseling service, please contact with your class teacher.